Saturday, November 20, 2010
Brave New World?
Recently a parent started a campaign to have Aldous Huxley's Brave New World banned in Seattle Public Schools (high school). According to the parent, the book's use of the word "savage" to describe a community that bears a striking resemblance to a Native American community is insulting and hurtful. I thought it interesting because the whole point of the book is to ridicule/critique a contemporary society (in particular, according to Huxley, American society) in which individuals are consumed with their own pleasure and are removed from natural living processes. The "savage" in the book is actually not a Native American but a man who was the product of a live birth between two lovers. Ironically, the "contemporary" society has in fact banned books. In any case, the word savage is used satirically. I wasn't sure if this point was missed by the parent or not. Certainly the word savage has a lot of historical baggage. That said, can that not be used to stimulate a discussion rather than serve as a reason for banning a book? I think if we avoid what is uncomfortable we cease to understand history and that, in my opinion, is a dangerous precedent. Banning books is a slippery slope. Who gets to decide which books should be banned? Some people find Harry Potter offensive (and, indeed, have attempted to ban it in many places). I know we have talked about books that are a product of their time, or, as in the case of the Skippy John Jones books, simply perpetuate stereotypes. I think there is a time and place for certain books. For others, as informed and thoughtful teachers, we can just substitute better choices.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so glad you addressed this topic, Lauren. It would seem that banning books only serves to dodge social issues temporarily--not a good long-term solution. Have you read the work of adolescent fiction titled 'Sledding Hill'? You might find it interesting.
ReplyDelete