1. What is the role of the ITouch in Primary School?
I am having a difficult time imagining the usefulness of the ITouch for use in kindergarten and first grade. In terms of the applets (at least the ones I have looked at so far), they are more or less the same types of games you can get off the internet (pbskids...or any other ed site). I think having laptop computers or I Pads would be much more useful because of their versatility. Once kids start having their own I-phones (intermediate elementary or middle school), perhaps it becomes more relevant to have them download various apps or use it for class assignments, calendars etc.
2) What is the role/usefulness of the literacy applets such as Clifford etc..? What is the evidence base for using these tools?
I believe that literacy is best taught using a whole language approach. This does not mean there is no phonics instruction but my thinking is that such instruction would be in the form of "mini-lessons" within the context of a whole class, a small group or an individual. After instruction? Children return to reading BOOKS to practice the skill we have just worked on together. Then they come back and we discuss and practice together. Role of video games (educational or not?)? I am not convinced. At first I was going to say that the kids could be encouraged to use these games at home for practice but on reflection I would worry that the games would be used in lieu of parents reading to their children which, in my opinion, is a vastly more powerful tool. However, I am currently learning about the Daily Five (check out the website -- I have added a link) which is a way of structuring literacy work in the classroom in order to optimize time for reading and skill building for all students. I guess as part of that, you could have a component that allows students (on a rotating basis) to choose a computer game during the word work part of the Daily 5.
Sure, laptops would be great, and they cost 5 times more, so lots of schools are looking at the great things that you can do for much less on handhelds.
ReplyDeleteAnd we're really not recommending video games...
but there is some really good research on all the things that students can learn with really well-designed teaching games on computers. So how will you know as a teacher whether some kids in your class would take off if they had access to those kinds of tools?
I don't have a single game on my Touch but I use it for learning over and over every day.
So what else might be there for you to explore?